Friday (4/27/12) was spent with a fascinating lady, Suzanne Strand, born in 1929. (Do the math.) She lives in Batavia, Illinois. We drove into this area on Thursday, specifically for Gramma to visit her. Gramma found us an RV park near Joliet, not far from Batavia.
Let me tell you about Suzanne. She is related to Gramma, so she is related to all of you children and grandchildren. Suzanne's mother, Margaret Schultz Haver (1888-1988!!), is Gramma's grandmother, Jessie Schultz Van Kirk's older sister. Still with me? So Suzanne is Gramma's Dad, Don Van Kirk's cousin. So this make Suzanne Gramma's "cousin once removed". Now you figure out your relationship to her. There will be a test later.
Suzanne is a pistol. She was very happy to see us, smiling and laughing. She lives alone. Her husband died about a year ago. When lunch time approached, we asked her if we could take her out. "Oh no, she said, I have a few things prepared" She hopped up and went to the kitchen. She pulled sandwich makings and a big fruit salad out of the refrigerator. She set the table with her china. We had a terrific lunch. I had a double helping of the fruit salad and was quite full. With a twinkle in her eye, she said "I hope you left room for rhubarb cobbler."
Back ground story--when we visited last visited her and her husband in 2009, she made a rhubarb cobbler. I love rhubarb and made a fuss over her desert and asked for her recipe. So when she knew we were coming she fixed it again. It was still very tasty. I made a fuss over it. And when we were leaving she fixed a take home pan. Good fun. I called her our "Rhubarb Lady". She laughed
I am a Boise State football fan. So it was a fun coincidence that the Friday Chicago Tribune front-page headline was "This Spud's For You". The big story in this big city is that in the NFL draft the Chicago Bears first round pick was a Boise State defensive end Shea McClellin. (from Idaho..a spud..get it?)
And this is the front page of the sports section with a huge photo of Shea. The blahblah guys question a defensive end? in the first round? from Boise State??? We'll have to watch for him this season.
The story's not over. Today, Becca and I were waiting in the checkout line when the guy behind us said to me "We picked one of your guys" I was trying to figure out what he was saying, then he pointed to my ball cap. Ahh. I was wearing my Boise State Broncos hat. He was speaking as a Bears fan and me as a Broncos fan. So we exchanged some guysportsspeak. After a while he couldn't help asking "You have that hat and she has that shirt. How's that?" Ahh. Becca was wearing her BYU football hoodie. Inquiring guys want to know. Now the guy behind him spoke up. "I was wondering too". I laughed and came up with the easiest answer. It was time for us to leave. "I have children in Idaho and children in Utah" That seemed a good enough explanation for my sportsguyfriends.
2 comments:
Bethany loves rhubarb too and learned to make several strawberry/rhubarb recipes while in Boise. I'll have to get some while you're here.
thats a fun story about the sports clothes. and really nice of that lady to make rhubarb for you guys.
Post a Comment