A couple of evenings ago I stepped outside and was enveloped in the sweet fragrance of orange blossoms. If I could add music to this post it would be the bluegrass classic "Orange Blossum Special". The smell took me back to my high school days in San Bernardino. Our school was built in the middle of a huge orange grove. Actually most of San Bernardino and the surrounding communities, such as Rialto, where I spent most of my childhood, was built in orange groves. We had orange trees behind our house. Anyway, in the far corner of the Aquinas High School property was our baseball diamond. During the baseball season, about this time of year, the trees which lined both foul lines, were in bloom. As we spent most afternoons practicing, we were surrounded by this natural perfume. Last evening Becca and I sat on the lanai enjoying the smell. Below is the tree a short distance from Bigfoot. Note the beautiful white flowers.
Of course we have noticed the many orange and grapefruit trees here in the park. But we have never been here during the blossom time. Beneath the blooming orange tree below is a box of fruit. This is a pleasant tradition here. Folks with extra fruit, place a giveaway box at the curb . This morning Becca and I stopped and picked up three grapefruit. Our French Quebec neighbors taught me the french word for grapefruit -- "pamplemousse". Is that a great word or what? And if it is pink grapefruit, follow it with "rose"
Speaking of learning stuff, who, besides Heidi, knows the 5Cs that Arizona is noted for? One of them is not cactus, which was my first guess. Give up? "Arizona's five major resources: Cattle, Citrus, Climate, Copper , and Cotton". Fun, yeah?
3 comments:
I actually didn't know the 5C's, so thanks for sharing. We drove down 6 years ago next week to AZ for my brother's wedding. As we got to Mesa and left the freeway I made sure we rolled down the windows to drink in the beautiful scent of the orange blossoms. Ganon decided maybe AZ wasn't all bad. That smell is one thing I really miss.
I didn't know they had 5C's. maybe next winter we might come see you guys. oh the dreams.
It is nice to see signs of Spring somewhere in the world! I bet is smells wonderful!
Post a Comment