Sunday, April 3, 2011

Kailua II in Mesa!

Many of us have been to the Island Park home of Don and Marsha Heinz. They are now spending the winter "season" here in Mesa where they have purchased a house. When we touched bases they invited us to "a luau" at their son Grant's house. The Heinz family was much involved with our family. Maybe one day I should write about it and get input from my children. Short version--he served as our Bishop and later our Stake President. Gramma and I (and Jon) did media productions for him as the head of the Hawaii Sugar Planters' Assn. So we were happy to accept the invitation. Little did I expect a Kailua II Ward mini-reunion.
Here is Gramma with Grant, now a successful plastic surgeon who specializes in eye repair here in Mesa. When I first met him I was teaching at Kailua High School and he was a "rascal boy" there. Fun story--when we walked into his hotel lobby-size entrance to his home, we exchanged greetings and I asked him, "So, Grant you decided on this place because all of the large homes were taken?" He didn't miss a beat. He replied "Yes there were bigger places, but we liked this neighborhood"
This is Bridget (then Wilkes) who lived in Aikahi Park, near the Heinz's. She and Ramona were good friends. Gramma was Bridget's Mom's Visiting Teacher. She said,"Be sure Kelly sees this picture. We are Facebook friends"
I recognized Ken Schaub immediately from our early days in Kailua II. He and his brother were dashing young Marines. Ken went on the serve in the FBI and is now here with his beautiful wife Donna. Hasn't forgotten how to "shaka"
Do you recognize our Kainui Drive neighbors, the Austins? Bro Austin has passed away. Ruth lives with her son Allan, who was a rowdy friend of Grant's at Kailua HS
This is Jackie (used to be Heinz), the oldest daughter. She paid me a compliment, "You were the best Seminary teacher ever." She was a senior in that early morning class. I remember that class as a fun, vibrant group. So fun to see her again. She totally "channels" her Mom in many ways.
Grant, Allan and Stephanie (used to be Heinz). She attended BYU as a freshman, the same time as I began my graduate program there. We saw her on campus from time to time. She and her family live in Sandy. She was just visiting.
This is the first time I've seen Kanila Tripp in many years. Mom saw him in Kailua in '07. We were close to his Mom and family. Becca seemed to remember him. Of course she gravitates to the "hunky" guys, in Hawaii sometimes called the "Kanak's"
As the many families and children departed, there was talk of making this an annual event. Another funny story--As we were saying goodbyes, a little boy came up and gave me a hug and said, "Thank you for coming" I was surprised, "You're welcome. Who are you?" He said, "David" but no other explanation. I suggested, "You must be Grant's son" Pause, then he tentatively replied, "I think so". When I told Grant he admitted David was his son and explained, "He's a real comedian"
Good times in Mesa. We leave Tuesday. Mahalo for a fun aloha party.

1 comment:

amanda said...

oh, what a fun story and visiting good friends from hawaii. The Heinz are some of my favorite people.