This morning (4/13/11), after the usual getaway chores, we pulled the chocks and left the East Shore RV Park, concluding our visit with the SoCals. We took the 210 to the 15 North slowly pulling the steep grade of the Cajon Pass. When we stopped for gas at a Pilot truck stop outside of Victorville, the guy at the next pump noticed our Hawaii plates and began the usual conversation. "How did you get that over here?" My usual answer now "We use the secret tunnel" (yuk yuk). When he asked where we lived I gave my usual answer "Oahu". Now that usually gets a response like my dad/brother was stationed at Schofield or Hickam. But not this time. He said something that I certainly didn't think I'd hear at a random gas station in the desert. "I went to school at Kailua Intermediate School". But it was in '63 so he was gone when we got there in '70.
Outside of Barstow we stopped at the Calico KOA in a place called Yermo.
Gramma remembered this place because they have an old caboose parked out front. Gramma is interested in trains because David is/was interested in trains. So David, this caboose is for you.
The weather report today was for strong winds in the desert, which is not unusual. Can you tell that these trees are bending in those winds? Forecast called for gusts up to 50 mph and "high profile" vehicles (that's us) were encouraged to get off of the highway. We did and we have been joined here by several other rigs for the night.
Tomorrow is supposed to be calmer. So we'll try to get an early start to get across the desert before the afternoon winds kick up.
2 comments:
Glad there was a good place to take shelter from the wind. Safe travels. Love, Cath
Thanks for the train pic. David liked it. I told him that he used to call them "ca-ba-booses" and he thought that was very funny. He told me this morning, "Mom, two more days." I asked him, "Until what?" "'Til Gram and Papa get here!" he responded. You can tell he's excited because he didn't even mention Cereal Day.
Post a Comment