Saturday, April 9, 2011

What's In That Truck?

As we travel, we try to stop at every rest stop along the way. As we entered Riverside County, we realized that there would be no more rest stops because we were entering a big city. We were stopping at the last one. We park on the side for trucks and trailers because we are nearly as big as they are, when we pull the car with the motorhome. While I waited for Dad and Becca to come back, a European "smaller" kind of truck pulled in beside us. The driver got out and shook his hands at the skies and wiggled all around. I thought "a strange little man in a strange little truck". He came back about the same time as Dad and Becca. As he pulled out ahead of us, I saw what he had in his truck. I wasn't ready to take a picture. Dad didn't even see him pull away. I thought I had missed a great opportunity. Then he passed us on the freeway. This time I got the shot.


I saw the driver check his load twice and neither time could I see what his load was.
Here is a close up of what the Big Red Pencil looked like.

A Big Red Pencil
Any ideas? Where is this Big Red Pencil going? Why did they make the pencil red? Why not a blue pencil or a yellow pencil? Have you learned how to estimate? How big is this pencil?
In what occupations would you use a red pencil? What are they going to do with this red pencil? If you have any ideas, put them in the comments.
I could see some mounting brackets attached to the bottom side of the pencil as the truck drove away. I could just see it going up the side of a building to advertise an accountant's office or maybe a Tax Preperation business. Dad said,"It could be for teachers. They use red pencils too."

2 comments:

Happy Hammaris said...

I absolutely love it! It doesn't look real! If I had to estimate, it is probably between 12 to 15 feet long since it is on the diagonal of the truck bed. And who says there isn't a blue or a yellow pencil in another truck further down the freeway and they are going to build a pack of colored pencils somewhere?! Kaitlyn of course would tell you that red is the only logical choice however. Maybe for a billboard about the national debt :)

Eric R said...

I am just wondering where you can find a pencil sharpener big enough