Thursday, January 10, 2008

Looking back over time

My fam (circa’52) in front of a quad-colored Ford (high fashion at the time). Back row L to R Auntie Pat, Nana, my Dad. Front row L to R Aunt Catherine, me,


This photo represents a happy time for us in 1980. We had spent a year on the mainland living in Capistrano Beach. I was on a teacher exchange program. I taught at Dana Hills High School while the exchange teacher taught in my line at Kalaheo. L to R –Mom with her new/favorite hair cut, me in my aviator sunglasses, Megpie, GP, Jon, Becca and Kelly. It would take another year before Amanda joined and completed our family.
By 1983 we had had our full compliment of six Connelly children. Jon and Kelly were born in ’66 and ’67 respectively (both on Sept 13) and became our “Big Kids”. These four became the “Little Kids”. On Fridays we had a fun family activity of everyone accompanying Dad to the library in town to turn in and check out material for his teaching job. Mom especially loved these together outings. This photo, taken in front of the Honolulu main library caught a moment in time, which displayed more than any posed shot could capture, the personality of these children. From L to R Megan the Carefree, teasingly ignoring the fact that she had her headband on her head and didn’t want to release the other headband to her sister. Next is Becca who has, from day one, been close to Ganon, whom she referred to as “our boy”. In this picture she has an arm around GP’s shoulder and is laughing trying to cheer him up. Ganon, The Serious, has his brow furled in concern over the squabble going on between his two younger sisters. He always assumed the role of Protector and Leader of the Sisters. Mom remembers him often saying “Come on Girls!”. And at the right we see a two year old Amanda (with the beautiful curly hair which took her two years to grow), nick named “Demanda” because she never let her youngest status in the family keep her from protecting her rights, belongings and wishes.
Looking back over time further strengthens our testimony that families are forever

6 comments:

The Bountiful Connelly's said...

What wonderful pictures! I can see from the picture of "the little kids" where David gets his look of concern from. David seems to have inherited several traits from his father, like always telling Rebecca "Come On, Sister!"

amanda said...

love those pictures. I like that your family picture that you (dad) are looking at the camera. that is a nice car you guys have:) Oh the 4 of us did have some good times together. ganon blaming meg for sometime meg blaming me and then me blaming becca. becca wasn't dumb she would blame suzie the dog!!

Catherine said...

Great entry! Loved the pics and especially the personality interpretations for the four younger Connellys. Do I detect Marilyn's teaching methodology in the bird identification challenge?

Good job!

Kelly said...

Amanda, I always suspected that Suzie the dog was the one responsible for all the wrong doing! I know she was responsible for ruining my shoes. My only pair of church shoes she ate the heels on the night before I flew away for my first year of college.
Thanks to a visit with Nana before going to BYU, I had a brand new pair of shoes.
Dad, We certainly had fun during that year in CA. I remember it fondly as the year I had my own room. It was also the room with the TV so I did have to share when we all wanted to watch it. But is was world's better than the walk-in-closet-sized room that Jon got. I am still amazed at the distances you would let Jon and I ride our bikes to get to school. Today, I wouldn't dream of letting Stephanie go that far on her own. Let alone every school day. Plus, we had to cross a busy 4 lane highway with no light. I still remember the car that hit my rear wheel spinning me into the dirt and it never stopped. I had to continue on to school with a dented rear basket and fender. I was in 7th grade.
As you can tell from the CA photo, I like to read. So I fondly remember our trips to Honolulu to visit the library. I loved to check out books. I also remember helping Dad check out 16mm Movies that he would show at school. We would help carry them back to the library every week. Sometimes we got to watch them before he returned them. Yes, that was the world before even video tapes not to mention DVD's. Mom reminded me that I would always ask our itinerary for these trips to "town" so I would be sure to have what I needed, ie books to return, etc. Jon would arrive in front of the library and then say "oh, I had a book I could have returned! I didn't know we were coming to the library" Fun times for sure.

Cathy said...

I love, love, love those pictures!!! I would love to have more pictures of Jon when he was younger. Great times!!!

Happy Hammaris said...

Interesting note. Bethany wears her headbands like I am in the pict of the "little kids."