Monday, February 14, 2011

Old Friends

Who remembers the Moncurs? And what are they doing at the Valley del Oro Valentine's Day dinner?
So here's the story. It began with our Christmas letter email. Brother Moncur's email address was in my address book. He and I worked together, back in the day, in the Stake YM program. And Sister Moncur was a teacher and a District Specialist stationed at Kalaheo. So Mom and I knew her professionally. But maybe our biggest common denominator, besides the Gospel, is our adult Downs Syndrome daughters. We attended many of the same events, like Special Olympics and Young Adult dances where both Becca and Alyssa loved to dance.
Anyway our Christmas card got a surprise reply. These three had retired and moved to Gilbert, AZ--about 20 minutes from VDO. Pretty amazing!
After a couple of emails and phone calls, we've visited their home and they were here last Saturday for the big dinner event. Nice to catch up on topics Hawaiian. (notice his shirt?)

2 comments:

Happy Hammaris said...

I seem to recognize them. I admit that I had to look twice at the daughter. Becca has a twin!

Eric R said...

I'm with meg i thought that was becca too it isn't unlike her to miss a photo op esp if there is a guy in the picture. -amanda