Today is Sunday 5/6/12. The first Sunday of the month is usually Fast and Testimony Sunday. But every Sunday is the day to go to church. Many years ago our family decided that even when traveling we would go to church. I think we have pretty much kept that resolve. One of the testimonies given today was on the blessings of going to your meetings. I believe that. It is a precious opportunity to contemplate our savior, renew our covenants and receive strength for the upcoming week.
The church has a fun little app on its website called "Meetinghouse Locator". So I went there and typed in "Verona New York". It told me that the closest meetinghouse was the Oneida Branch with meetings beginning at 10. Then it gave me driving directions. It was only 5 miles away from the RV Park.
The street address was on Middle County Road. When we turned on it we started looking for a likely building. Branches are sometimes in a small rented building or even in a residence. We were a little surprised to find this nice red brick building after the manner of buildings we are used to. But inside we were again surprised. We entered the room with the "chapel" sign there were no usual pews. There were a few rows of stacking chairs. The front of the chapel was the usual "stand"arrangement with choir loft and organ, etc. This is a miniature building, designed to be flexible. I was told that :
1) such buildings are around for institutes, small branches, etc
2) this structure was situated on a lot to allow for future expansion. Their property extends to the crest of that hill back there
The first people to greet us were Elder and Sister Karlinsee, senior missionaries in the Utica, NY Mission. The amazing thing, I had never heard of that mission until a few days ago when Megan called us to tell us that Arnie's parents had received their calling to serve in this mission beginning next September. That will put them a short 300 miles from Meg's house in NH.
The Karlinseys are "Office Missionaries for the Mission". Between them they have many responsibilities to help the Mission President run the mission, which is a huge mission covering everything in the state not covered by the New York City and the Rochester missions. They were very interested in the Hammari news. They usually see paperwork ahead of incoming missionaries and will look for them
Photo courtesy of Becca
Strange side-note: We bought an iPad just before we left on this roadtrip. I asked for the instruction book. The salesman smiled, "It's on the iPad". Well, that would have been fine for any of our children and/or their spouses and/or many of our grandchildren. Anyway Gramma and I have been having some success with our newest device. I have the scriptures and the hymns on it, so I've been taking it to church. Those apps work OK. But today it seemed to have a mind of its own. Who remembers "HAL"? I was sitting in Priesthood. The iPad was on the empty chair beside me. During a quiet moment I faintly heard women singing. First thought--must be the ladies down the hall in their meeting. Then I heard the lyrics coming from the seat"..walking in a winter wonderland" The iPad had decided on its own to sing Christmas songs!! I grabbed it up and turned it off. It still kept singing!! Luckily Megan had taught me in an email message how to turn the volume down. So I did that. Cue the spooky music.
4 comments:
Nice recovery with the ipad, I have to make sure my phone is on silent each Sunday, so I don't make a scene.
I think the name of the entity in apple devices is named "Siri." I am not sure if she is on the iPad however, I am curious to know what set your iPad off. My inlaws are excited to see potential fellow missionaries. I'm excited that they will be so close. See you soon :)
Well I'm glad that you are doing well with your iPad. Keep learning it is such a handy thing to have, we have what Rycharn calls iPad Minis at our house. Apple calls them iPod Touchs, someday we hope to graduate to the "full-sized" iPad.
nice picture of you and your ipad. glad its working good for you guys.
Post a Comment