Sunday, September 25, 2011

Papa's Reunion

50 years ago, in June of 1961, I graduated from Aquinas High School in San Bernardino, CA. Gramma also graduated that year, but at a different school, Eisenhower High School in Rialto, CA. Several months ago I began getting information about a reunion of our graduating class and the graduating class of St. Bernardines High School. That school was the Catholic school for girls. Aquinas was the school for the Catholic boys. Shortly after our graduations, the two schools were merged. The place of the reunion was this modest hotel in San Diego.
On Friday night 9/23 and on Saturday 9/24 we had three eatin' meetin's in this large room on the 5th floor. The flash below makes it difficult to read the message about our event.
It is not a surprise that most of work to organize and bring-off this two day celebration was done by the St B women, many of which also attended the 1-8 grade school, St. Anne's. So this group had forged friendships over 12 years. They were kind enough to also invite the men from Aquinas
My personal hope was that two of my closest friends would be in attendance. I wasn't disappointed.
Below is Mike Kjolsrud. He became one of my closest friends in high school and college. The summer between my sophomore and junior year, Mike got me a place as a Junior Counselor at a Catholic boys' summer camp in Estes Park Colorado. It sits in one of the most beautiful places in the Rockies. What an experience.
Mike and I roomed together as freshman at Loyola. We had fun, too much fun. I should write about it, but not now. I have so many memories of Mike. When Gramma and I got married he was my best man.
In this photo Mike sits beside Paula, a wonderful lady. I think of her as the eye of the storm. Mike is the storm.
Below is Wayne Hubert. He had a deep impact on my young adult years. Below are some of the our interactions.
I came to the 9-12 Aquinas, as a 10th grader. I had gone to Rialto Jr. High 7-9. Most of my friends there including Gramma went to the public high school, Eisenhower.
So when I went to Aquinas, I knew no one. Wayne was one of the first boys to extend a hand of friendship. After I turned 16, I went to work at the A&W root-beer stand, owned by Wayne's dad. Both of Wayne's parent were good people. I spent many nights hanging out at their house. Wayne and I played baseball together for the Aquinas team. When we went off to college, we went to separate schools. Me to Loyola in LA, Wayne to University of San Francisco. But in our junior year Wayne came down to Loyola and we were roommates on campus. The next year we moved off campus and with 2 other guys we rented a small apartment. And when Gramma and I got married, Wayne was one of the men in my wedding party.

Toward the end of the Saturday event, they got us together for photos. These are the Aquinas class of 61 in attendance.
Most of these guys I haven't seen since the night we graduated from high school. It was nice to renew these friendships. But the highlight for me was reconnecting with Mike and Wayne.

2 comments:

Catherine said...

John, thanks, I love your post and the photos! I remember when you kindly took me to the Hubert's A&W and I ordered a coke! I think you were slightly embarrassed by my faux pas.

amanda said...

I'm glad you were able to go. looks like you had fun. its even better to see old friends you had such a past with. good times.