It has been a sad week in this part of the world. One week ago, as you know, there was an American tragedy in Tucson, a couple of hours south of where we are. As you can imagine, the press in this small state was filled with little other news. Then when it was announced that Obama would be attending the Wednesday (1/12/11) memorial, whatever national press wasn't already here, came.

When Wednesday evening rolled around I almost didn't watch the memorial on TV. I thought I'd had my fill of sad news, especially about the little nine year old who was among those gunned down. I was watching Channel 3, a local TV station, when the memorial was about to start. I thought about finding something else on TV. I also thought about going to one of the national press channels to see the memorial. I'm glad I did neither.

I stayed with the local channel. They gave a terrific hometown treatment to what was a very hometown event. Aside from Obama, this "local flavor" made this even more memorable for me. You may have heard some or all of Obama's speech. History may find that this was his finest hour. By the time he finished, I felt that we had been close to a historical event.

Having spent 35 years in Hawaii, I know "local" when I see it. This memorial was held in The University of Arizona's basketball arena. My first "local alert" came with who was conducting the meeting. With a TON of political heavy weights sitting in the front row of folding chairs, including the AZ Governor, the University President conducted. He did OK, although he didn't welcome Obama, but that got my attention. Next, the opening prayer/blessing was assigned to a very nervous UA Professor of Indian descent who came to the podium with a fist full of feathers. He felt it necessary to give a lengthy explanation to the blessing he was going to give. I sat straight up. This made me think of Hawaiian blessings given at such ceremonies. I enjoyed the blessing. I'm not sure of who put the agenda together, but it felt like it was put together before Obama had committed to come. The UA student body president spoke and then Daniel Hernandez, also a UA student and an intern to Giffords. He was close to her when she was shot and he administered aide, helping her to hang on until help arrived. The AZ Gov. Jan Brewer spoke briefly, and it wasn't until then that anyone at the podium recognized the presence of Obama. I was very impressed with Janet Napolitano, Homeland Security Secretary. Her talk was ended by quoting a lengthy passage from Isaiah. At the end of the scripture, she walked from the podium. I was stunned. I cheered "Alright Janet!" Then US Attorney General Eric Holder followed and quoted from the New Testament. I applauded. Why am I shocked that our government leaders are reading the scriptures? I should have written down the scripture references. Does anyone remember? None of the newspapers I read the next day commented on any of the things I am writing about tonight. No surprise.
Obama took his turn and delivered a speech, with humility and his usual poise, that seemed to me to say all of things that needed to be said, and left out all of the things best left out at this occasion. He ended with "...and may He bless the United States of America!"
Good job, Punahou boy.
2 comments:
Thank you for sharing. I don't get to watch tv hardly at all here. shhh, don't tell Mom! It is nice to hear something positive came of this tragedy.
that is a sad thing that happened. even sadder that a girl emma's age died. and anyone to that matter. to bad they aren't focusing on who did it instead of point fingers at republicans or democrats. thanks for sharing.
Post a Comment