Friday, July 30, 2010

A surprise Rexburg medical adventure

The morning after, it's hard to see the bruise over her right eye. Here's the story. Mom had her one week follow-up eye exam with the optometrist. We had parked in the little parking lot and Mom and Lily had started for the office door. (Lily had asked to go because she suspects that going with Gramma and Papa will involve snack.) Becca and I were closing up the car when Lily called "Gramma fell down!". I turned around and there was Mom spread-eagle, face-down on the sidewalk. I ran over to her. She was conscious and not bleeding. That was the good news. When her shoes had caught a rise in the sidewalk, she went down right on her forehead. Her cane was of no help and Lily had been walking ahead of her, so she was unable to help. When I got to her and heard the story, I called 911. Becca, Lily and I stayed by her. She was able to sit up after a couple of minutes. A crowd gathered  including folks from the eye clinic. Mom was worried about being late for her appointment. The secretary assured her that the appointment could be changed. When the paramedic ambulance rolled up, Becca had the best comment of the day:  "Here comes the heroes!" Then out to the rig jumped three what Becca calls "hunky guys". They were all young and big and seemed enthusiastic about practicing their skills on a real patient. They attached their portable gear to check her vitals. They asked questions to see if Mom was "loopy" from a concussion. (She wasn't unusually loopy.) One guy said to Mom, "I need to put the blood pressure collar on your left arm". He then proceeded to put it on her right arm. Mom said, "That's my right arm. Or was that part of the test" A little accident humor. Decision 1 was that Mom need not be taken to the hospital. Decision 2 was that Mom was going ahead with her eye exam. Two of the Hunky heroes lifted Mom (like a feather) into their emergency wheel chair and drove her into the clinic. Before they left, the Head Hero advised me to keep a lookout for "loopy"(that was his word--not making that up) behavior. I resisted making a wise crack and promised I would.
The eye doc did a complete exam and pronounced "no damage". Last night she slept well and this morning you can hardly see the bruise, not even a shiner. She feels a little sore in a few places, but nothing serious, so my hard-headed woman seems to have survived her surprise Rexburg medical adventure.

3 comments:

Kelly said...

So glad that Mom isn't seriously hurt. Does sound like you ended up with a fun adventure, thanks to Becca's perspective. Fun to have some Hunky Heroes around to save the day. As Rycharn would say "falling is bad", it is a phrase he started using when he would loose his balance after his brain surgery. Since his balance is once again giving him grief, that phrase is often heard here.

Happy Hammaris said...

Glad Mom is okay. Becca is hilarious! I think she was part of the surprise in this adventure!

Catherine said...

"She wasn't unusually loopy" "Was that part of the test?" and "Here comes the heros" -- you are all hilarious! So glad nothing really bad happened. John, remember my fall a couple of years ago? Your comment was that I probably broke the record on the number of injuries from a walking fall...