Tuesday, February 19, 2008

We had Big Kids, Little Kids & a Wonderful Tree

Kelly was a wonderful big sister and a big help to me. Megan was a beautiful, wonderful free spirit. It was a good thing I had Kelly to help me watch her. I think I took these 2 pictures. I really like them. Kelly is so pretty and happy. I think she is in high school. Meg is 3.
The great thing about this photo is that you can tell right away that the Little Kid is Ganon and the Big Kid is Jon. Ganon and Jon have been called by each other's name for a long time. Most people could not tell them apart. Some people did not even know we had 2 sons. Jon's early years were spent in Kailua I Ward so whenever any of them saw either of the 2 boys they thought he was Jon. Ganon was born in Kailua II Ward boundaries he was constantly called Jon and Jon was called Ganon. The boys still tease me because I would get their names wrong too but I would add the correct name immediately after the wrong name. Thus Ganon became Jon-Ganon and Jon was Ganon-Jon. Jon Michael went to BYU years before Ganon and yet when Ganon showed up he was very surprised to be called Jon by total strangers who thought he was Jon. This is not the whole story though. Few people know that when we were deciding on a name for Jon, we decided we would name him Ganon Patrick. We didn't know anyone with that unusual name and we thought it was so Irish. Then a woman in our apartment building had her baby a couple of weeks before I had Jon and she named her child Ganon, an idea she got from me, no doubt. We were very upset. We decided to name our first child after his father (well sort of). We didn't see any reason for the "h" in John so we changed that. We had never done any of our genealogy so we didn't know then that if we had named him after his dad he would have been John James Connelly the Fourth which Jon says he would have liked. For a long time doctors told me not to have any more children and I listened to them. After we were able to go to the temple and pray a lot we decided to have more children. Ganon was such a blessing to us that we might never have had. He got the special name. And we have all be confused ever since.

3 comments:

The Bountiful Connelly's said...

If my name is destined to be confused I'm glad that it is with Jon's. He is a good man. He has always been willing to lend me a hand when I have needed it. Thanks Jon

Kelly said...

Cute pictures. I actually like the one of me and Megpie. It was fun to have younger siblings, but growing up I missed having a sister closer to my age. I used to think it would be fun to share clothes. Now that my sisters are all grown up the age gap doesn't seem to matter.
Was just talking to a member of my ward and he was surprised to learn that Jon and I are siblings. Seems we hide the resemblance well.

Happy Hammaris said...

Kelly was always and will always be my role model. I love the picture. It shows how much my blond girlies look like me :)